Sunday, July 5, 2009

Sent forth!

Today, in church, I asked elder Jane Blackstone to say a sending-forth prayer for me and the EOH team as we leave for Zambia at the end of this week! After the last hymn, the whole congregation joined hands in a circle and Jane offered up a beautiful, Spirit-filled prayer asking God's blessing on our mission journey. I thanked the church for being a part of the mission along with me via their support and prayers. It was a wonderful worship service, and I am ready to go!

Today's New Testament lesson was Mark 6:1-13, the sending out of the first disciples. What a great passage to think about as I depart on a mission trip. The disciples were sent out two by two, demonstrating that fellowship and prayer partnership is vital; without money or baggage, demonstrating that if we trust God we have all we need; and with the authority to drive out evil spirits and heal the sick. When we follow Christ's call and rely on Him completely, we are given the power to do all God asks us to do.

Unlike those first disciples, I am taking baggage with me. However, my suitcase has items in it that are uniquely tailored for the mission I am going on: American candy for the sugar-starved interns who have been over there two months already... a sewing kit for my niece, who ripped a favorite shirt...Hats, pocket watches, pens and children's books for gifts and trading purposes... 500 pencil balloons and an air pump for making balloon animals (I always say, you never know when making several hundred balloon animals for a crowd of kids might open doors!). Minimal clothing, but several warm pieces of clothing in case it gets cold...A pillow for the long plane flights...Protein bars in case I miss a meal now and then. It's very different from what I might pack for a vacation, and much more fun. I especially am praying for an opportunity to make balloon dogs, but...we shall see! :)

So there you have it. What's inside YOUR suitcase??

1 comment:

  1. Ellen, I say you packed very practical. I have never met you, but I am excited for you and will pray for you daily. Go into all the world! Kevin is back this Friday as you leave. I can't wait to see him and I will share with him your mission.

    ReplyDelete