Friday, June 12, 2009

It is less than a month now before our team's departure to Zambia. I will be part of a large group traveling together from Washington DC, through a stop in Dakar, Senegal, then a stop in Johannesburg, South Africa and finally arriving in Lusaka, Zambia on July 11.

I have been walking 2 miles a day, three or four days a week, trying to get in better shape for the trip. I am really feeling my age! But I know that God uses us at every age, so I am ready for what lies ahead on the journey.

The Presbyterian churches in Malta and McConnellsville may be giving me a gift certificate to a Christian bookstore in Zanesville. If so, I plan to buy children's Bible story books and take them with me to the EOH office in Zambia, who will distribute them to children according to need. I also want to take some small gift items with me, but I haven't yet decided what. Above all I want to be a blessing to the children I am sent to meet, teach and serve!

On the conference call last night, we discussed what to pack for the trip. It was helpful to learn that the climate will be dusty, and Camp Hope attire needs to be comfortable and fairly rugged. While Gary advised bringing a couple of pairs of jeans and t-shirts to be "shaken out at night and put on again the next day", Tiffany advised bringing a fresh outfit for every day. Being used to frugal packing and living, I think my packing choices will put me somewhere in the middle, choosing two or three pairs of comfortable pants, maybe 8-10 tee shirts and my Land's End trekker shoes. I want my wardrobe to be simple, comfortable and easy to care for.

It's hard to believe that I am done with everything except the packing part. Praise God! Time to get packed and get ready to go! Just a few more weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment